Jenny's Healthy Italian Wedding Soup

by jennifer1. April 2013 18:51

I made this on Saturday and it came out SO GOOD!! My trio go back to school this week and they love to take soup in their thermos, and I thought they would really enjoy this, and they did!! YUM!

Jenny’s Healthy Italian Wedding Soup

Meatballs:

3/4 pound LEAN ground turkey

1/2 cup brown rice bread crumbs

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 teaspoon Italian Spice blend

1 egg or egg substitute to equal 1 egg

Soup:

1 tablespoon coconut oil

1 large onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

10 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 (10-ounce) bag chopped fresh KALE

1 box gluten free pasta (I used Bowtie)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, garlic, Italian seasoning, and egg. Form into 30 to 40 small (1-inch) meatballs.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with nonstick spray. Arrange meatballs in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes or until meatballs are lightly brown and cooked through.

In a pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook for 5 to 6 minutes until tender. In a separate cooking pot, add chicken broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and add kale. Cook for 5 minutes. Add pasta and cook an additional 8 minutes. Add cooked meatballs and cook for 5 minutes.

Tags: , , , , ,

Jen
Jen
4/2/2013 10:16:49 AM #

I have to try this! It looks so yummy and not too complicated. Thanks for sharing!

mindy artze
mindy artze
4/2/2013 11:26:58 AM #

That looks great! I will have to try!

Nichole C
Nichole C
4/2/2013 12:27:35 PM #

Yum! This looks tasty!

erin
erin
4/2/2013 12:28:13 PM #

This is one of my favorite soups! Where I used to work they had a chef that made this - so delicious!

I've never tried wedding soup but this looks delicious. I wonder if I can make it vegan Smile

Liza
Liza
4/2/2013 7:13:19 PM #

This looks so good!

Photogrl
Photogrl
4/4/2013 10:11:39 AM #

Wedding soup is HUGE where I live.

Totally going to try out your recipe...even "pinned" it to my Fit & Fabulous board! ;)

le site
le site
12/28/2013 11:04:09 AM #

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website so i came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

Feel free to surf to my page  le site - http://www.topwarez.fr/streaming-c-7.html

Sarah Scott
Sarah ScottUnited States
1/20/2014 9:18:39 PM #

I have heard of Italian wedding soup, but had no idea what was in it. Wow I want to go make it now, sounds so yummy, thanks for sharing

Sarah Scott
Sarah ScottUnited States
1/20/2014 9:19:03 PM #

Thanks for sharing - sounds yummy

Jody Morgan
Jody MorganUnited States
1/21/2014 10:44:25 AM #

I love that this had turkey!  Smile

Cinella
CinellaUnited States
1/21/2014 11:06:36 AM #

OMG! There is this restaurant we go to a few times a year, cus it's high class, and they have the best wedding soup! Def gotta try this recipe out! THanks for sharing.

@klwschmidt
@klwschmidtUnited States
1/21/2014 11:45:33 AM #

This looks yummy! Wonder if I could make it Paleo??

jennifer
jenniferUnited States
1/21/2014 2:59:45 PM #

Sure you could, Katie. Use something else for the bread crumbs....and leave out the pasta. Voila. Instant Paleo.

Kia Ruiz
Kia RuizUnited States
1/21/2014 3:13:59 PM #

Mmmmmm, soup. Hook up the kale and meatballs girl!

Dee Copeland
Dee CopelandUnited States
1/25/2014 5:26:31 PM #

Yummy looking recipe! Fortified with kale it is a must try. Hope my kids love it.

Lydia
LydiaUnited States
1/25/2014 8:01:58 PM #

Oh wow - this sounds so good. I've definitely pinned it for future reference!