Whole 30: Round 2 Week 1

by jennifer2. June 2013 16:52

I finished up round 1 of the Whole 30 on May 8th. I did great. I lost 6 pounds and 5 inches, became leaner, stronger and faster.

During the past few weeks I have started to let some foods slip back in to my diet. Which foods you might be wondering? Well, beans for one. And beer for two. Tongue Out  And some natural sugars for 3 (honey, stevia and monk fruit) and some oats and flax (though that was only Friday and Saturday of this past week.)

I'm feeling bloated, and poochy in my stomach, so it's time to tighten up the food choices because I don't like how I am currently feeling.

I'm going to try to be even more strict on this go around. During my first Whole30 I did allow myself snacks. This time, I'm going to try to eat more at my meals and curtail the snacking. The kids are going to be out of school, so this may or may not work against me. I'll be working so hard to keep them busy that I might not have time to think about snacking. Or...I'll be so stressed out that I'll be reaching for a snack out of stress. And that's when I'll have to remember H.A.L.T.

Hungry

Angry

Lonely

Tired

The hardest one for me was H. Am I truly hungry?? I need to listen more to my body. Am I hungry enough to eat a full meal? If the answer is NO, then I need to put the food down, drink a glass of water and find something else to do.

The average craving lasts for only 3-5 minutes, so when cravings come up, I need to take a lesson from successful 4-year-olds, and I must learn to distract myself until the craving passes.

I am quite proud of myself for not having ANY ketchup since April 7th. And I haven't had a diet soda, coffee creamer, etc...since February, so I did make some serious progress in certain areas.

I started Round 2 today, and I know that I'm going to stick with my staples for pre-workout snack: hard boiled egg. My post-workout snack will also be a hard boiled egg. Lunch will likely be sweet potato hash with avocado and a grilled chicken breast. We did a bunch of cooking today including grilling talapia and chicken breast and I have a bunch of shrimp so that will be on the menu as well!

and I'm planning on these meals for dinner this week:

Sunday- Talapia with roasted vegetables

Monday- Grilled Chicken with roasted vegetables

Tuesday- Tilapia Lettuce Wraps

Wednesday- Roasted tomatoes with shrimp and feta (no feta for me, but the kids and James will like it.)

Thursday- Smoked Salmon Quiche

Friday- Chicken Tacos for the kids and James, chicken on salad for me

Saturday- A hodgepodge of whatever we have left around the house!

I'm pumped for this round of the Whole30. I know how good I feel when I'm on it, so I just need to stay on it!!

Have you done the Whole30? Have you done it more than once? If so, did you notice any differences between the first time and subsequent attempts?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Tara Funair
Tara Funair
6/2/2013 6:32:18 PM #

Congratulations you your weight loss. I know how difficult it is to struggle with diet. I look forward to reading more about your progress

6/2/2013 6:36:25 PM #

Thanks Tara! I've been able to maintain a 212lb loss for over 2 years, but for the life of me, I just can't seem to break in to the 140's!! The lowest I've seen is 154 and I seem to be quite comfortable between 157-162. I just can't bust through, but I'm hopeful that this round of the Whole30 will do it for me!!

Nice job this week with your progress! The eliminating ketchup would be the downfall of me. I can eat healthfully all day long, but if I'm asked to eliminate ketchup I'll lose it. I need that (even though I know it's sugar loaded and not all natural). Nice job on the diet soda and creamer. I don't have an issue with creamer but I do love a diet soda every now and then. And I know Whole 30 has you eliminating beans, but I don't really understand why. Do you know?

running betty
running betty
6/2/2013 10:55:37 PM #

there is all natural ketchup available. There is also not all natural but at least no high fructose corn syrup ketchup out there...

6/2/2013 11:49:43 PM #

It's the amount of sugar in ketchup that is a no-no on the Whole30.  There is a recipe to make your own that sounds pretty yummy and easy! I might just have to give it a try!

Ingredients

1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste;
    2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice;
    1/4 tsp dry mustard;
    1/3 cup water;
    1/4 tsp cinnamon;
    1/4 tsp salt;
    1 pinch ground cloves;
    1 pinch ground allspice;
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, optional;

Preparation

Simply combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine. Refrigerate overnight to let the flavors develop and enjoy!

Tif
Tif
6/3/2013 12:50:41 AM #

I hope this round will push through to the 140s for you! That's where I'm at...sitting comfy at 154-157 right now but am so ready to kick my last few inches of softness around my illiac crest and move close to 145!  I'm trying to decide if I want to do the Whole 30 or not. We're recleaning our diet up starting Sunday and I'm leaning towards going all in. We're already GF and a lot of other things free...but boy those beans! and Quinoa!

6/3/2013 9:49:21 AM #

I'm 5'8, but 157 is a good weight for me. I just want to be a faster runner, and I know dropping 10 or so pounds would really help with that. Ugh. Such a numbers game.

Nichole C
Nichole C
6/5/2013 8:59:44 AM #

Your menu looks great! Tilapia lettuce wraps sound awesome. Iused to be a ketchup junkie, but once I gave it up, I don't even miss it. It's mind over matter; now if I could do that with other foods, too. Smile Thanks for linking up!

SMD
SMD
6/5/2013 11:25:14 AM #

Love this menu.

I've been meaning to try making my own ketchup, I cannot believe how much sugar is in regular ketchup.

I am putting tilapia lettuce wraps on my list of meals to make.

Thanks for linking up!

Robin Einhorn
Robin Einhorn
6/5/2013 5:55:17 PM #

Jenny- I just read your story in the HP (links from the GGSA facebook group) and followed it to your blog!
I did a Whole30 last fall and I just love reading other people's successes with the same thing! Do you follow Paleo generally? The reason I ask is because I was interviewed by a magazine recently (I've lost 100+ lbs) and I mentioned it throughout my interview, but I have no idea if they will include that. I noticed HP didn't say much about what you eat.
Hugs and High fives!
Robin

6/5/2013 5:58:19 PM #

My "normal" diet is pretty close to the Whole 30/Paleo.  When not on the Whole30, I eat beans and drink beer. LOL. That's the big difference!  HP didn't ask me any questions about what I ate now, just more like what I used to eat!