Halloween starts the beginning of the Holiday junk food season. Walking through the stores you just see dozens of different types of candy. Candy is just empty calories, void of any nutrients, and one snack size bar can pack a whopping 100 calories. I have to run a mile to burn 100 calories. Do I want to run an extra mile just for a piece of chocolate. No, I do not. Losing and keeping off over 200 pounds is not easy, so what do I do to avoid the temptation of Halloween candy??
This is always a challenging time of year for me, but I have come up with some tricks to help me avoid the lure of binging on Halloween candy.
1. WAIT to buy the candy. Don't buy it as soon as it gets on the shelves. Wait until Halloween day. There is NO reason to buy candy before Halloween day. No reason at all...
2. Buy candy you HATE! If you have to buy candy for your trick or treaters buy candy that you don't like!! For me, I can't stand Candy Corn. If I had to buy candy for little ghouls and goblins, that's what I would buy. Candy Corn.
3. Get it out of the house!! I haven't bought Halloween candy in years. The days right after Halloween can be just as challenging as the days leading up to Halloween especially as a mom to 3 kids who go trick or treating so the kids and I have a deal. I allow them to eat what they want while we are out walking and collecting. Then we come home, and that's the candy that we pass out to the kids that ring our doorbell. That's right. We re-gift our candy. Anything that is left gets donated to Treats for the Troops on November 1st.
4. Enjoy Halloween parties for the atmosphere, NOT the food. Attending Halloween parties often means that there will be unhealthy food choices. Try to focus more on the festive aspect of Halloween, the fun costumes, the scary decor! And ALWAYS bring a "safe dish" that you know will help keep you on track.
5. Wear a cute costume. Wearing a body fitting costume can help you to remember your goals and remind you NOT TO INDULGE!! Make sure it's a costume that makes you feel good about yourself. When you feel good about yourself, you are more likely to stay on plan.
And there you have it....my top 5 tips to avoid Halloween Temptations!
What do you do to avoid Halloween temptations?